There is an investment strategy that is little known — you can leverage self-directed IRAs to invest in multifamily real estate.
A self-directed IRA is an individual retirement account that allows more control and flexibility to invest in alternative assets, such as real estate, while enjoying the same tax benefits as a traditional IRA. In conversations with family and friends, we frequently hear the question, “How can I save up the funds to invest in real estate?” Our response is, “You may already have them!”
Many investors are interested in adding real estate to their retirement portfolio, but they don’t necessarily have open capital to put toward a project — a large portion of their net worth is locked up in retirement plans. That’s where a self-directed IRA can come into play. Investors are able to split off a portion of their IRA to rollover into a self-directed IRA. Then investors have the ability to allocate their funds to real estate opportunities, alongside other diversifiers.
Steps to invest in multifamily real estate with a self-directed IRA:
- Open a self-directed IRA with a custodian that allows you to invest in real estate. We are happy to assist to make this a seamless process.
- Fund your self-directed IRA with money that is not currently subject to taxes, such as a rollover from another retirement account.
- Submit a direction form that will be provided by the IRA company advising you to invest in our real estate project(s) in the amount you desire on your behalf.
- The IRA company will complete the paperwork and send funds for your investment. Both you and your custodian will have visibility to all future reporting for the project.
- You will receive income from the property investment into your IRA account, and any appreciation in the value of the property will be tax-deferred until you withdraw the money in retirement.
A number of our investors choose this strategy for investing in Roers Companies projects, and our team has built relationships with custodians who help facilitate this process. Knowing the opportunities available to you to help grow and shape your financial future makes all the difference! A self-directed IRA gives you more control over your retirement savings and can help you protect your money from market volatility.
If you are interested in learning more about self-directed IRA investments in multifamily real estate, please reach out to the investor relations team: email@example.com. We would be happy to answer any questions you have and help you get started.
The information shared above is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal, tax, or investment advice. You should consult with your own legal, tax, and investment advisors before making any decisions about your self-directed IRA.