Controller – Corporate Office
Roers Companies is seeking an energetic, dedicated professional to join our team in Minnetonka, MN as a Controller. Roers Companies is a growing multifamily developer/owner based in Minnetonka, Minnesota. We own commercial properties throughout the Midwest including student housing, senior living, affordable, mixed-use, and market rate apartments. Our portfolio now includes more than 3,700 rental apartments in six states.
You’re passionate about your work. You’re driven to achieve ambitious goals. You step up when the team needs an extra hand and aren’t afraid to ask for help when you need it. You act with integrity and empathy for the people around you. You make smart decisions because you get the big picture and ace the little details. In other words, you share our corporate values — passion, work ethic, teamwork, integrity, and ownership mindset.
As a Controller, you will handle high-level accounting and oversee the financial activities of the company. In a given day, your tasks may include:
- Safeguard assets and ensure accurate and timely recording of all transactions by implementing disciplines and documenting all process, checks and controls across company.
- Complete accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end reporting and accounting for all Roers Companies related funds and its affiliates.
- Complete accurate and timely budgets, and cash flow forecasting for all entities
- Support asset management and senior management on all Roers Companies related fund accounting analysis, projections and other reporting, as needed.
- Coordinate with outside tax consultants and accounting staff on the timely completion of annual tax returns and distribution of K-1’s to owners and investors.
- Coordinate with outside auditors and accounting staff on the timely completion of all outside audits if applicable
- Supervise overall accounting staff. Set annual department goals and KPI’s with measurement and reporting.
- Review and approve monthly corporate financials to ensure accurate and timely reporting. Summarize reporting of key metrics, KPI’s and business goals.
- Manage treasury banking relationships to ensure optimal service and lowest and competitive fees on Roers Companies related bank accounts
- Prepare monthly loan summary on all Roers Companies debt
- Oversee accounting and coordination on all non-recurring transactions including property acquisitions, property dispositions, and expense reconciliations for lease terminations, developments and financings.
- Support CFO with special projects and workflow process improvements.
- Responds to inquiries from senior management, asset managers and other department managers regarding special reporting requests, questions, issues and the like.
- Prepare draws for Development Accounting
- Annual Budgeting – Corporate and Properties
- Perform special projects and other related duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or GED, Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, CPA recommended.
- 7-10 years commercial real estate accounting experience preferred
- Local market experience preferred.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Strong understanding of US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Effective presentation skills on complex topics to senior management
- Ability to work independently and within a team to build relationships and interact effectively with business partners and clients
- Willingness to take on new challenges, responsibilities, and assignments
- A desire to work within a diverse, collaborative, and driven professional environment
- Strong desire and ability
- Computer skills: Microsoft Work & Excel, knowledge of internet, e mail and social media as it pertains to marketing the property.
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to interact with wide range of people.
- Must be organized, detail oriented and have good time management skills.
- Entrepreneurial mindset – loves to be challenged, determined to win, puts clients and teammates first, collaborative, inquisitive, self-motivated, and operates on trust.
- High integrity – trusted, direct, truthful. Embodies confidence and admits mistakes.
- Maintain neat, well-groomed, professional appearance.
Benefits & Perks
Our full-time employees are eligible for these benefits and perks:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance including health savings account
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Short-term disability insurance
- Retirement savings
- Corporate holidays and PTO
- Free office lunches
- Monthly social outings
- Free stays in our properties guest suites
- Shorter Friday workdays during summer
Roers Companies is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates will be required to pass a criminal background check, motor vehicle report, and drug test.